Pages

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Guest Post: Working + Breastfeeding = LOVE

Today is the start of World Breastfeeding Week (August 1-7) and the month of August is Breastfeeding Awareness Month.  I have requested some of my breastfriends to guest post and to share their breastfeeding journey for the benefit of my readers.  I'm hoping to receive all their articles on time for the month of August. =) 

My first guest post is by Madz L.Carsula-Tolentino, a busy lawyer, a loving wife to JT and a mom to a toddler, Gab and baby, RafaAtty. Madz is a proof that it is possible to continue breastfeeding while working and she shares here her secret!

______________________________________

Working + Breastfeeding = LOVE
By: Madz L.Carsula-Tolentino


They say working hinders breastfeeding and vice versa – nah!  I don’t think so! For 17 months, I was able to meet all the deadlines in the office and I managed to exclusively breastfed my boss Gab(I had to stop though at Gab’s 18th month because another “boss” (my son Rafa) was on the way).

Keeping up with the demands of my boss Gab while beating deadlines at the office was really challenging. How did I survive? The secret is simple - LOVE.
 
Look at things positively. Having a positive outlook and attitude produces happy hormones which help in the let down process and help your milk come in. Do not stress yourself on how much milk should be expressed. Just let it flow! 

Oats and water. Eating oats such as oatmeal or oat based cookies will surprisingly increase your supply. Thanks to Mommy Paola of Mommy Treats for the delicious Lactation Cookies! Also, keep yourself hydrated. Drink lots of water and healthy juices. 

Value the priceless benefits of breastfeeding. Aside from the economical and practical benefits of breastfeeding - you don't have to buy and measure formula milk, sterilize nipples, or warm bottles, the most important benefit breastfeeding can give is that it protects your little one from a long list of illnesses. Along with this, studies have shown that breastfeeding burns extra calories, so it helps moms lose pregnancy weight faster. It releases the hormone oxytocin, which helps the uterus return to its pre-pregnancy size. Breastfeeding also lowers the risk of breast and ovarian cancer and may also lower the risk of osteoporosis.

Express milk regularly. When at work, make sure that you go on “pumping”  breaks or “harvest” time. Pumping at work stimulates milk production and it can make you feel connected to your baby even during the workday.  For a working mom, like me, a hospital grade breast pump will be of great help.

 

Now that I have my 3-month old “boss”, I still am practicing the LOVE tips and still find it very effective.

I hope these LOVE tips will help every single mom out there to maintain and sustain their supply of “liquid gold” for their precious little ones! Happy breastfeeding! 



Mommy Madz

:

Post a Comment

If you have any questions, please leave a comment and I'll gladly answer them. =)