Pages

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Guest Post: I am a Proudly Lactating Mom


More and more moms are now becoming aware of the benefits of breastmilk. While some can't breastfeed for long, most will at least breastfeed for a month or two before going back to work. 

STATISTICS: Out of 10 mommy friends who gave birth last year, 5 are still breastfeeding their babies until today, 3 are mix feeding while 2 breastfed their babies for at least 2 months.  Not bad right? =)

One of these 5 breastfeeding mommy friends is Gladys Ocampo-Lao. We used to go to the same church and belong to the same organization.  She is now a Work-at-Home-Mom (WAHM) so she can focus more on Baby Enzo. (Achie Glads, i so envy you!) 

This sweet and soft-spoken breastfriend briefly shares here her breastfeeding story. =)


 ___________________________________________________

I am a Proudly Lactating Mom
By: Gladys Ocampo-Lao

I am a "proudly lactating mom", as my ob-gyne keenly describes.

Yet, I grew up on a popular brand of formula milk. Giving babies formula was what seemed "normal" to me, until I worked as a daycare teacher at a multinational's daycare center. There, I saw moms taking time out to pump milk for their children and how well the little ones thrived on mother's milk. They were healthy and lean. I took one look at those kids and resolved to breastfeed as well.

Fast forward to a few months after and there I was at the ob-gyne's clinic happily receiving the news that indeed, I was expecting. Immediately, I expressed my intention to breastfeed. Lo and behold, my ob was a staunch breastfeeding advocate himself! He proudly declared that breast is best, both from a medical point of view as well as from his own experience as a parent. This became the first among many "orientation to breastfeeding" sessions, certainly a firm nudge that set my feet down the breastfeeding path.

It has been more than a year since that first "orientation". As a first-time mom, I had a rough start. I struggled with proper latch and positioning, engorgement, nipple inversion, leaking breasts, nursing in public, etc. Yet through it all, God who is ever faithful has never failed to send help and support at just the right time, something that truly fills me with gratitute. It humbles me to say that in less than 2 months' time, I would attain my goal of breastfeeding for one year.


Breastfeeding, with all its hurdles, has turned out to be a very personal and fulfilling relationship. However, to complete the picture, I most definitely have to say a few things about my husband, M. He is the firm pillar in my breastfeeding journey, providing quiet support that is unwavering and constant. Whether it be in the face of emotional meltdowns or the first few awkward nursing in public moments, he has been there giving me strength and encouragement. I cannot imagine breastfeeding without him in the equation.

I am a proudly lactating mom. Yep, I'm owning this statement.



 
 Mommy Gladys

:

Post a Comment

If you have any questions, please leave a comment and I'll gladly answer them. =)