Pages

Friday, August 16, 2013

My Breastfeeding Miracle Story

I am a member of Breastfeeding Pinays on Facebook. This group seeks to provide support and information to families who are interested in breastfeeding.  In less than 7 months, they already have more than 4000 members.  Wow!  If you are pregnant or have babies or somebody who believes in breastfeeding, join this support group and be inspired with the stories of breastfeeding mommies.

Last July, several members of the Breastfeeding Pinays submitted their miracle stories in a contest conducted by KAYA Women Empowerment and Support where each narrative entry should be about the contestant's breastfeeding miracle story and should contain a maximum of 200  words.  I immediately composed my entry.  I had a hard time limiting my entry to just 200 words because I have so much to share.  Breastfeeding is my new found passion.  In my own little way, I am helping mommy friends on their breastfeeding journey.

My miracle story was among those chosen.  The winners had a Filipiniana themed breastfeeding photoshoot by LIFE at Imagine Nation Photography at Ceferina's Restaurant in Quezon City.  Hubby is so supportive, he even accompanied me and baby to the photoshoot. 

The breastfeeding photos are now on exhibit at SM MOA until August 22, 2013. The exhibit, entitled Breastfeeding Pinays and their Miracle Stories, was formally launched yesterday at SM MOA Music Hall.  It was such a big event, there was even a fashion show featuring Joseph Aloysius's (of Project Runway) formal breastfeeding wear!  I heard the breastfeeding wear fashion show was the first in the Philippines.  One of the admins of Breastfeeding Pinays also informed me that after SM MOA, the photo exhibit will be transferred to SM Aura then in Congress!  This morning, I saw my breastfeeding portrait in Yahoo.  I really felt honored to be a part of this BIG project.   

Here is my breastfeeding portrait and miracle story: 


Pregnant Edel Obiena-Leonsua spent sleepless nights doubting if she would be able to breastfeed. When she found a picture of Nuestra SeƱora de la Leche (Mary breastfeeding Jesus), the patron saint of nursing mothers and their infants, on the Internet, she said a fervent prayer. A few days later, she saw a statue of a breastfeeding Mary. From then on, all doubts about being able to successfully breastfeed vanished. When her baby was born, her breast milk was so bountiful that she was able to donate to preemies and to a blue baby. Amazingly, she was even able to help an adult family member deal with health issues through her precious milk. 

To get inspired with the miracle stories of other Breastfeeding Pinays, please go to http://ph.she.yahoo.com/photos/breast-is-best-moms-tell-their-inspiring-stories-slideshow/. For the longer version of my story about Our Lady of La Leche and to know more about her, please click HERE.


Happy Breastfeeding Awareness Month!


 

Mommy Edel 

 





:

Post a Comment

If you have any questions, please leave a comment and I'll gladly answer them. =)